The best way to begin Mother’s Day is with a good old fashioned hug. The best way to spend the rest of the day is with food. What says ‘I love you Mom’ better than a batch of home-made choc chip cookies? Or better yet, why not spend the afternoon making these together. It’s sure to be treat for both of you and Dad won’t object either. Happy baking!
Oaty Choc Chip Crunchies Recipe
- 250 g butter or 250 g margarine
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups coconut
- 2 cups oats
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup chocolate, nibs or 1 cup chocolate chips
- Mix syrup, bicarbonate of soda and boiling water in a small bowl.
- Beat together butter and sugar till slightly creamed, add flour sugar and coconut to the creamed mixture.
- Add choc chips and fold into dough, you may need to use flour carefully so that the dough does not feel too dry.
- Roll dough into sausage shape 2cm in diameter approximately.
- Cut into 1 cm slices and place on baking sheet, do not smooth top, leave looking rough, simply push in choc chips if they are loose.
- Bake in moderate oven till golden brown.
- When all the cookies are baked switch off oven and place all cookies next to each other in once or 2 pans and replace in oven and leave for a couple of hours until crisp.
- Keep in airtight tin, and if they soften re-dry in oven.
- Eat plain or pipe squiggly lines over with melted milky bar chocolate.